Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tuesday #1

Tuesday night 7:40 pm

Hello from Jean. Today was an unusual day for this Preschool Director who is used to following tons and tons of rules and regulations. Well, here there is no DHS! The director is out of town, and the teacher in charge left and went to the clinic! Before she returned, another teacher left. So, that left 57 children with no teachers! Stephanie had them all until I came out of a classroom and found her looking a bit glazed and a tad frazzled. No teacher, no plan, and children who are very difficult to understand…yeah, it was an experience. We each took a class and tried to get them through the lunch routine-not totally simple. “I need a spoon.” “I buy my lunch.” “My mouth hurts.” Plus a few requests or questions I never did understand. One was trying to ask me if they could change into their uniform.” Huh? I had no idea where food was, spoons were, or…well, get the picture? Anyway, during that time, another teacher told me she was going to the clinic when the other teacher returned. I asked, “Who is going to watch your class?” Her response…”YOU!” We’re not in Kansas anymore, Toto!

Joyce came up to the school to help me some late this afternoon, and a boy named Eric came and asked to help. He was great. Then Wisdom came over and helped Joyce and I do some work in the playroom-well, what they call a playroom. This evening shortly before 6:00, a house mother came to get a key from me to open the director’s office. They have a Bible study in the “staff room.” Well, I had pulled stuff out of the closet and unloaded all sorts of things and had the whole room in a total wreck! Oops They graciously moved to the playroom. (And I only found 1 lizard lurking behind some books.)

I talked to Glynn today, and yes he knew about the blog. By the way, Glynn, the sunglasses you found for me were a hit! The teachers were very happy. I also gave a pair to the bus driver and the boy who keeps the school clean all day. After school some of them were outside proudly wearing their new glasses with the little plastic stickers still on some of them. We removed the stickers, but it was a bit funny.

I have really enjoyed having Stephanie in the school to help the Kindergarten kids (all 57 of them.) We are going to do the Bible story in the morning for the whole Preschool (here it includes Kindergarten.) but she doesn’t know it yet. J Stephanie is awesome with the children. They begged her to read more and let them color more.

Tomorrow is a new day and I can’t wait for more new adventures.
Jean

4 comments:

paige bonner said...

Eric, I just wanted to let you know that we are still missing you very much. Reilly wanted to make sure that you got her message that she left you. Also, I just found Reagan playing with his farm animals in the potty....isn't that nice? Thought that would put a smile on your face. We love and miss you. Send us a message when you can. Love, Paige

Unknown said...

hey Emily!
michelle called us and told mom that she needed to check her email. she hadnt checked her email since like march 1. so we read all your emails and listened to the recordings of the people singing. im glad to hear that you are having a good time. im sorry you were sick! but finnergin (phenergan) is amazing. jk, but thats what i took when i was sick, but anyway... we couldnt get on facebook because i couldnt figure out your password.. oops i mean cause i didnt know it. by the way, if you send anymore emails you might want to send it to my name if you can and if you remember it because ii check mine constantly and apparently mom doesnt, anyway. i love you and miss you very very much. have fun and remember why youre there! keep focused.
love,
jennifer
Em, I was so glad to hear from Michelle and to know to check my email. I loved the updates. It sounds like you are really doing well and seeing more than you thought you would. I love you and miss you. Stay focused and love those children. Mom
Teresa, THanks for helping em when she was sick. I have such a peace knowing you are there with her. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time and I can't wait to hear your stories. We're in constant prayer for all of you. Linda

WE LOVE YOU!

paige bonner said...

Hey Eric...Tommy and Patti here. We miss you and are very proud of you for doing God's good work. We wish you were here for the beginning of the basketball tourney but realize what you are doing is much more important. I am cooking on Easter Sunday and will have food for you on your return Easter Sunday afternoon. My best to Dr. Smoak. We love you. Tommy and Patti

Unknown said...

hey Emily!
i checked mom's emails today. sorry we didnt earlier. im now gonna check her emails constantly instead of leaving it to her. :D
i love you very much!
genevieve