Monday, March 10, 2008

Ghana Missions

Many at Farragut, have been busy with plans and preparations for the forthcoming medical and educational mission trip to the Village of Hope in Ghana, West Africa.
One of the labor intensive activities in preparation for this trip is the repackaging of over $200,000 worth of medicines. This is done in order to conserve space and allow the attending physicians and their assistants to dispense medications in the most efficient manner.
Thanks to David Gentry and Joyce Phillips for coordinating this part of the project, as well as the many volunteers who have worked so diligently.

Another portion of the Ghana trip is generally referred to as the "Eyeglasses Project". In addition to prescription glasses donated to this effort, the ECHO’s class raised over $300 for "drugstore readers" which were purchased for about 50 cents a pair.
Thanks to Dorian Lane for procuring these and for his overall efforts including donating a much needed optical machine which he will take to Ghana and leave there for their continuing use.
The education team includes teachers and high school students that will work with the pre-school and reading programs. This team is working with the school administrators to focus on specific goals for the Hope Academy.
The medical team will be conducting a free four day clinic at the Village of Hope. The clinic staff will include local medical personnel as well. Medications during the clinic are provided free of charge. We anticipate seeing almost a thousand people during the clinic.
The group of 19 coordinated by James East, David Gentry, and Mike Phillips will leave on March 14th and return the 23rd. It’s not too late to give towards this effort. $9,600 has been contributed toward the goal of $10,000. Please pray for the safety of our group and for the people they will be ministering to in Africa.


Check this blog site for up-to-date communication with the Mission Team.

8 comments:

Austin said...

Hi Dad...I trust that you arrived in Ghana safely. I tried to call before you left, but was a few hours too late. Anyway I just want you to know that I wish you an amazing trip and a happy and memorable birthday!! I will take care of mom if she needs anything while you are gone. I LOVE YOU and can t wait to here your stories.

ellenkaye said...

David(from Kaye)...having faith here in TN that all had safe travel and sleep en route to Ghana. I have purposely envisioned 'each' traveler in my mind and have prayed for each. You know how happy I am that you are a part of this mission to the Village of Hope. My prayers for your pursuing what is in your heart outweigh my wants for you to be here. I text msg'ed with Austin during the VOLS game. When I learned that he had already sent a blog your way, my heart was deeply touched by that young man again. Truly, he did try to catch you before your departure - so he just had to join in my faith that all is well with you. Our love for you is much greater than half way around the world.Give my love to Leticia and all at VOH.

Joan said...

Beth and Chris - we are all awaiting your first message; just want to know that you arrived safely. Our prayers will be with all of you this week. Love, Joan

paige bonner said...

Eric...I am looking very forward to hearing from you letting me know that everything is ok and that you arrived safely. I love you and already miss you very much! I know that this trip will be incredible and that you will have many stories to tell. I will be looking forward to hearing them!! Reilly and Reagan send hugs and kisses to Daddy. The SEC tournament was crazy. Tornado hit GA Dome during game Fri night. TN lost yesterday to Ark by 1 pt. Take care. I love you, Paige

Unknown said...

Stephanie hodge....hi mom!... karisma , shafiyq and dad
speaking here!We really miss you! We are looking foward to seeing you.We hope that you're having a wonderful time and we just want you to know that it is not the same without you.We had a great day with dad today.We will keep you in our prayers.Call soon and we love you!

jeffrey5 said...

Teresa Phillips and Emily Holloway:
Hi, Teresa!
Hi, Emily - Teresa knows me and I work with her and your Mom at the hospital. I just wanted you all to know that I am praying for you and all those on the trip with you. May God bless you both as you travel among those that you are witnessing to, teaching, and helping with health issues. You will be blessed by your willingness to be a part of this amazing mission trip. I can not wait to hear all about your experiences. Emily, your Mom misses you so much and was glad to hear that you all arrived safely and were getting acclimated to the environment. Teresa, take care of yourself and Emily, and we can not wait to hear all about your experiences! Love ya both - Donna Mueller

Unknown said...

Stephanie Hodge, hi mom we all love you very much and just remember what we told you. don;t forget to email us. and tell us all the wonderful adventures you've been on and we cant wait for you to come home!!!!!!

jeffrey5 said...

Hi Teresa and Emily,
I have been reading the comments and it sounds like you all are receiving many, many blessings! Happy and blessed birthday to you, Emily! I know that everyone here is so very proud of you and Teresa for the sacrifices that you have made to go on this mission trip. I pray that you all will continue to be safe, that your witnessing will be received, and that you will be so very blessed! Take care, Donna Mueller