Saturday, March 22, 2008

Saturday, 7:30pm

This is James writing.

We are at the airport, checked in and waiting for our flight. I just heard the flight from Amsterdam has arrived, so I take it that our plane is here to wing us northward over night.

The drum and dance program given to us by the children from the homes was a special treat this morning. We heard that they practiced most of yesterday's school holiday to get ready. With the holiday and our waiting to leave on Saturday, the children had more free time to spend with us, and that they did. One just had to make oneself available and it wasn't long till the children surrounded you to touch and ask questions. The most difficult was: do you remember my name? Maybe if I had a few years I could get their names straight.

After a last minute eye exam was given by Dorian, we headed out to Accra. We had lunch at a popular resturant called Freddies where they serve, in an airconditioned environment, hamburgers, hotdogs, pizza and other choices we might find at home. (However, Eric's choice of tuna omelette was a selection new to us) From there some of us went to the Art Center Market and others to the National Museum before heading to the airport. We had planned a dinner at a restaurant next to the airport, but the group chose to go ahead and chill out at the airport. For some reason, chilling out has a strong appeal to this group.

Time: 8:00 pm
This is Jean. I'll just add a little note to tell you that the dance program the children did for us this morning was the first time they have done it for an outside group. We are very honored.

Glynn, I didn't know the phone only had one minute left until it told me so when you were about to answer. When you could finally hear me the time was gone. I know you wondered why I called, said "Hi. I love you. Got to go." and then I was gone. I could just hear you saying, "What was that?" It was like a tease.

It has been an awesome trip. Now I'm ready for Home Sweet Home.



=========

No comments: