Monday, March 17, 2008

Sunday night

We've had power problems. The national electrical grid has been less than 24/7. Its been more like 7/24 (say seven hours out of the last 24). We've been on the Village of Hope generator power since 7AM.

Even with the generator, the computer lab was without power. The computer lab is the only place to use the internet. One of the wall outlets in the computer lab was fried, it was black and the metal part of the plug vaporized. It has taken most of the day to find this problem and get it corrected. Adam McCall was very useful in helping troubleshoot and repair the circuits.

It is now 3:30 on Monday afternoon, and the computer lab is up and running. The following blogs were written last night. I've captured the nine comments on yesterday's blog to share with the team. We will enjoy reading them.

James

==================================

Blog beginning 8:40pm Sunday night

What a wonderful day of worship we had today. Many of us went to the village of Fettah for morning worship and class. The class was interpreted for us and Eric's sermon was interpreted for the Ghanaians. The singing was incredible. If Keith could get us to sing like that...well, it was amazing.

Eric preached at the Village of Hope at the evening service. Most of us were sitting by at least one of the kids during church. If you didn't go sit with them, they came and sat with you. I sat with Knowledge - yes that was his name. We got all the trunks unloaded and sorted and I spent the rest of my afternoon with Faustina, the Preschool Director. It has been so fun to see some children we remember from past visits. Several hit the beach this afternoon and we are all ready to start early and work hard tomorrow.
Jean
8:40pm Sunday

============

Hello from Africa! So far, this has been one of the best experiences of my life...and it is only Sunday night at 9pm (Knoxville time=5 pm). Getting off the airplane and to the Village of Hope vans was an experience of a lifetime! We had to walk fast and ward off many, many persistant hands wanting to push the carts (for tips). Driving to the VOH, we saw everything from street vendors with their goods balanced on their heads to a medical college.

The kids here are fantastic. They are all smiles and eager to talk. You can not walk anywhere with a box, package or bag without one of the young boys coming to help you carry your load. At church tonight, the kids came over to sit beside us. Their voices outweighed ours in worshipping with song.

Eric Bonner's message this morning included how we, as Christians, need to serve others from the "overflow". I thought I was on this trip to serve....that it was God's plan--His trip---but the purpose was to come serve. I had an epiphany as I sat through the service and listened to Eric, the singing and took in the sights of this beautiful place......rather than here to serve, we are here to have our cup filled so that we will be ready to serve from the overflow upon our return. So far, I'm at the brim.

Beth
9pm Sunday
========


This trip has surpassed all my expectations so far and it's only Sunday. I find it hard to find the words to express my surprise and amazement during the morning service in Fettah this morning. The singing was beyond amazing- I found myself with tears and it still fills my heart when I remember how they sounded!By an amazing coincidence I shared the flight to Accra from Amsterdam with a gentleman who was originally from Ghana but, had lived for 25 years in Canada. I got my first experience with speaking the language and he actually knows someone from Morristown, TN! I know I am here to help but already I know I will be blessed many times over!
Teresa
9 pm Sunday

=========

God has certainly been blessing the village of hope. More buildings is one sign, but the smiles on the peoples faces and a child speaking of God easily in conversation is what really stood out to me. Four years ago when I was here last I met a boy named Dana who was twelve. We have written a few letters back and forth over the years. Now Dana is fifteen and in eighth grade. He wants to be an accountant or an artist.

The clinic starts tomorrow. Time to go to bed.

Dorian
10:10 Sunday

8 comments:

Don said...

Hello Teresa, I am happy to hear your time at the VOH is going great. We really miss you and the kids are doing great so far.
I enjoy reading your comments and look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Don

Unknown said...

hey Emily!
its me and mom. well, actually she's vacuumin, but anyway, she doesnt know how to work a computer so i have to help her. she told me to tell you that me and her are goin to pigeon forge today w/ mrs. oslonian amd kelsey. we are spending the night in her papaw's condo and wont be back til tomorrow afternoon. we've been reading all the blogs and trying to keep up to date with you guys. again, everyone is praying for you and asking about you at church. i had primary church yesterday and wow. they are.... wow. anyway, i hope you are having a great time and are having fun with the kids today. i dont really get the time thing, but i think its like 6 down there or somethin. i dont know. heres mom (if she knows how to type). i love you soooooo much!!!
love,
genevieve
mom: Hey girl I'm sorry I missed your call yesterday. I got to deliver a baby at work(oops!) I miss you very much and am trying very hard not to ask the mom things like: are you taking your meds? are you using sunscreen and remembering your bug spray? drink all your water! Keep your eyes and your heart on God. I love you, mom

genevieve: ok after mom almost accidentally deleted mine and having to correct whatever it was that she wrote, i forgot to tell you that im not man enough to watch LOST w/o you. it creeps me out too much. :D .....and when you get back, we need to teach mom how to use a computer... and how to type. i love you!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that everyone is safe and that things are going smoothly(aside from the power failures). I pray that you all continue to have such success!
Best Wishes,
Jeff Heaney

Joan said...

greetings from America,(Knoxville,Tenn. This is Jake B and i am having the time of my life. we just got back from pigeon forge and i got my easter outfit. So far it sounds good down there. it is good to here from you mom. we will pray for you nightly. keep having a great time and dont get sick. love ya, Jake!!!!!!!!!!

Joan said...

So happy to hear of your success at the VOH. I was surprised to learn about a beach; is this a spring vacation?....sounds good. Jake has been having a good time. We will continue to pray for all of you. Love, Mom

KatieSmoak said...

Oh! How I miss Africa! Isn't the Village of Hope a wonderful place? Continue to be blessed!

David, Abby, Hunter, Max, Sully, Koleman, Stephanie, Jan, and I had a wonderful day in the mountains. We climbed rocks, threw rocks, and waded in the Little Pigeon. I'll try to get the pictures posted to face book soon.

I miss my big Boys and my special friend! Kristi and Beth how I wish I was there sharing this experience with you. Aren't the kids awesome!!!!

Can't wait to hear from you soon.

Jordan's phone call was a wonderful surprise. I realize he only called for Biskie's phone number but it was awesome hearing his voice!

Hugs and kisses,
Katie

Jeffery Lee said...

Beth, Good to hear from you. I am glad to know that you are having a great time on your trip to the VOH.We have been praying that the mission group will be safe and successful. We know God will use and bless each of you in the week to come. I thirst for some of your cups overflow. Tell Phoo to write back. Love, Jeffery

paige bonner said...

Hey Eric, everything here at home is going great. The kids are great but really miss their daddy. I know that you are doing a wonderful thing overthere. We are praying for you and the team. Reilly is going to send you a message tomorrow and Reagan wants you to come home and "clay" with him. He thinks that you are on every "clane" that we see in the sky. We all love you very much. My parents send their love also. Take care of yourself. I love you very very much! Paige