Friday, March 21, 2008

Posted Friday 6:45 Ghanaina Time

Wednesday

5:45pm
Greetings this Wednesday afternoon from Jean. Today was a great day. I was really excited! Fred Asare (who runs this place) arranged for a driver (Benjamin) to take Adam McCall (who is on this trip with us) to a nearby city to buy supplies to build shelves for the preschool staff room. They were on their way, when the power went out here, and Fred called Benjamin and told him they needed to come back. Benjamin is their “fix-it” man. So, Adam spent his day rebuilding the generator. If he hadn’t been with Benjamin, it just wouldn’t have happened. He normally would have been in the pharmacy. I love it when God does those things! I even accept that this was more important than the shelves. However, tomorrow is another day! Glynn, don’t you just love someone else being subjected to what I want done in preschool?

This morning, I told the story of the resurrection to the preschool. We used one of the crates on its end as the giant stone in front of the tomb. Christy and Emily came in as “the Marys” wailing on their way to the tomb. The earth (and trunk) shook, and Stephanie came out of the tomb and the kids eyes got huge! It was fun.

This afternoon, I gave the teachers purple aprons with deep pockets. They loved them. Stephanie and I went early this morning and set out things for the kids to play with. That went over very well.

The teachers here have such a hard job. It’s hot. The day is long. The classes are huge. The supplies are limited and they don’t use what they have. They are so used to doing without. They are such sweet ladies. It also makes me thankful for our preschool. One of the teachers said she wanted to come home with me. Her passport was ready and she was ready to come teach in my school. I told her my teachers never leave children unsupervised. She said, “I can do that. I will follow all rules.”

Tomorrow is the last day with the kids, as school is out on Friday. Thank you again for all your prayers. We are seeing God’s hand in so many different ways. If any of my teachers read this, I really, really appreciate you!!!!!!!

Michael or Amanda, tell Logan I miss him and will see him very soon!

Jean/Mom/Grandma

9:45pm
Okay, I am adding another note. Tonight some of us visited the Village of Senya. Others went last night. Wow! Are we ever blessed. I visited with the man who spends the night in the church with the 5 disabled children, the woman who comes early in the morning to bath and get the kids ready for school, and the teacher of the children. The teacher has a 3rd grade education. He is a smart man who wants an education but has no way to pay for it. They are stuck in a cycle. They need an education to better themselves, but without funds, they can’t get the education they need. They kept saying, “We need help!” I asked what they need most. They said, “A computer, clothes, shoes, school bags, and money for an education.” I won’t quickly forget the sights I saw. It made conditions and the school here at the Village of Hope seem fabulous in comparison. This kind of poverty is just too sad to believe. Glynn, I love my home!
Jean


10:00pm Wednesday – Michelle

Another great day in Africa and more moments of awe and amazement. As Jean said we returned to the village this time with more folks. The children streamed out of everywhere and played with the teen girls outside, such unrestrained joy from such poor circumstances. On our way home we were driven through an old Portuguese settlement and smaller slave castle. The view to the beach was one of the most amazing I have seen. Very little material abundance here but God has lavished this country with beauty and His presence is clear.

It was great to talk with you Judah and I was sorry to miss David and Abigail but understand you were out having great fun with the Smoaks in Knoxville. Loving you and looking forward to McDonald’s. J

Michelle/Mom

8:30 a.m. Thursday - - Eric Bonner

In trying to convey my thoughts and feelings, I feel like one of those little paper-cup funnels that’s getting a bucket of motor oil poured into it. I just cannot process it all, and I certainly don’t know how to get it all into words.

In the mornings, just as the sun is coming up, this little village of hope begins to come alive. My first encounter with life each morning is the sound in the distance of children laughing, playing, chasing each other around. They have gone outside to play after their 5:30 a.m. devotional and before their morning chores. For all I know, maybe they are doing all that laughing WHILE they are doing their chores. I don’t really know. I never see them this early in the morning. I just hear them and the worshipful sounds of their life and laughter.

Hearing these giggles and songs (Yes, I also love hearing them sing.) at 6:00 every morning is my first prayer here each day. A prayer without words. Just the thought that this joy, the from-the-heart zest for life that these precious little guys have in the midst of all their struggle is the same way that I want to be and feel all the days of my life. Of such is the kingdom of Heaven.

Going to Senia Village (which is about a 15-minute ride from our village) last evening with a group of 8 or 9 of us was something that has to be seen to be believed. I think Jordan got some video there. To get any kind of sense of that place at all, you’ll just have to see the footage that he shot. In a word, there is a church there that is trying to run a school, for many if not most in that village are illiterate, that according to the preacher of the Senia Village Church.

Old wooden benches. The church building is kind of a stone warehouse / barn. Chickens, goats and sheep just running around everywhere. Dirt floors. Dark. No lights as the non-paid teacher labors to teach her mostly shoe-less children as the sun goes down on the coastal village. And yet the kids just keep on singing and playing.

Back at the VOH, I set up a standing broad jump contest with the teenage boys on the dusty ground. We marked our starting point with a palm leaf. We would designate the length of our jump with a deteriorated mango fragment. From that to a “push-ups” demonstration. Then I showed them how to do “dips,” sit-ups and “crunches.” Their favorite was when I took some big rocks (I’d say they weighed 15 pounds or so) and lifted them up in front of me in what is called a deltoid raise. They just went nuts over that one. So there you have it, a muscle building clinic for the young boys of Senia Village being headed up by a skinny white preacher. Only God would work through something like that. But the rapport that I felt with these young men was intense and instantaneous. Can you tell that I have fallen in love with this place?

It’s always great to hear from you, Paige, Reilly and little Reagan. I love you all and miss you all. Christin, your message was read to the whole group. You are a great encouragement to me and your words uplifted us all.

I must go. There is so much that has to be done today, but I will revel in every single second of it. . . . . Eric



8:30 pm Thursday

This is Jean again. Today was an unbelievable day. I learned 2 new preschool songs and a fun new game to play with a group. The day started with Stephanie and I in classrooms and the teachers disappearing-okay that’s not new-but we could find NO teachers. I finally found them in the nursery. They have a devo once a week and just leave the other 100 children totally unsupervised. Some things you just can’t believe. Anyway, school ended at 12:30 today and I finally got away for lunch at 1:30. I went back a little later and there sitting in front of the director’s office…a bookshelf! Within minutes, here came another one! Then one more! I spent the next several hours trying to put the room back in order to surprise Faustina in the morning. She gets back in late tonight. Glynn, I promised Adam a dinner out when we get home. He wants a big steak! I am in awe that he was able to accomplish all that he did today. In case you don’t know, Adam’s first day at Farragut was our “fundraising” Sunday and he just went up to James and said he’d like to go!

I gave all the preschoolers sunglasses right before they went home today. I had children popping in the preschool office until I left at 6:30 wanting glasses. Then I gave the rest of them, plus leftover candy, and a bunch of Beanie Babies to the preacher in Senya.

Tonight we served ice cream to all the children in the homes. It was so much fun. They were all so excited and thankful. It was a great day and I am excited about spending tomorrow with Faustina.

I miss you, Glynn!


Jean


6:00 AM Friday

This is James. Yesterday, after I got through my duties, and a visit to a second French class, I found myself in the computer center and accessing the internet to upload the Blogs and down load the comments. If the power is to go out, it generally happens at 6 AM. In Africa there are exceptions to everything, the electricity stopped when I needed it the most.

As a result of visiting the French class, I’m now greeted in French by the students and we get to practice our French together.

Last night we had ice cream for the kids. What joy! There was even enough for seconds. I found a lot of tummies full and smiling faces. I don’t know who enjoys this the most, the kids or us.

6:44 there is power in the Computer Center, and I can log on to the internet so here goes.

James

1 comment:

Judah and Michelle said...

Happy Birthday, 'chelle.

Amazes me that you are celebrating your birthday in Africa. God is good, all the time.

We are at Uncle Bill's. Abby is riding the 4-wheeler, and David is playing transformers with Will. I will be purusing through uncle bill's wood pile here in a few minutes.

Miss you much. Be safe.


Love, -J