Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Tuesday Teaser for 11/5

Welcome back to the regularly scheduled teaser post. For those detail oriented persons you will notice how early I am getting to this. Really an unprecedented hour for me, the complete opposite of a morning person. However here I am, getting things done early today! I find it strangely satisfying that we will be discussing conflict this week, during the election day drama. Regardless of the outcome, many people will be upset. My years of political interest have been fewer than some, but even in my time I can see politics increasing in conflict. The other party is seen as completely and totally wrong and occasionally rather stupid or naive or hateful or mean or whatever. This is true no matter what "side" you are on.

In trying to explain to my son what election day is all about I realize how far we truly are from what I tell him. While he knows who I voted for (and announced it to the entire polling place, despite the signs on the wall that tell you not to mention a candidate's name within a certain number of feet) I also want him to know that other people may vote differently, and that they are not "wrong" for doing so. My simplistic explanation was that most of us want the same vision for our country - peace, prosperity, growth, freedom, etc. Where we disagree in on the methods to achieve those goals. Sadly I do know that is not what we see, hear, and say ourselves in political discussions.

In discussing conflict I do not want to hover around politics, I bring that up merely as an example perfect for today. Tomorrow is not election day so we will talk about other areas during our actual class. ;)

The verses in the preparing section were a mix for me. I expected the verses in Matthew 18: 15-17, the classic prescription for dealing with conflict with another brother, although I think that verse is misapplied at times, and we can get into that tomorrow. The other scripture again took me by surprise. Luke 10: 38-42 tells the well known story of Mary and Martha, one sister working hard in the kitchen, the other sitting at the Lord's feet. I have never labeled this as a "conflict" story but rather one about priorities, however I can see the potential.

Many people are turned off by "church" because it seems no better than society, just as full of bickering and other unpleasant emotions. They expect "church people" to act better. By not acting better they write off what we believe. This saddens me a great deal. People are not perfect, in or out of a church body. The scripture in Luke shows that even when Jesus Himself is present, conflict arises. In our fellowship we need not expect perfection, but acknowledge the realities of our humanness and work to resolve conflicts as they arise, as they inevitably will.

See you tomorrow!

No comments: