Wednesday, March 31, 2010

From Jean

March 30 7:30pm


Today has been a day that was different from any other. Laurie and I spent the day at the preschool. doing all we could and encouraging the teachers as best we could. We also let them decorate canvas bags we took for them. We had some iron on letters and hearts and butterflies and they seemed to really enjoy adding their name and extras. Of course they love getting candy (toffee) before they go home. Even the teachers beg for more.

At 3:30, I went with Jon, Erick, David J., and Julie to Senya. Senya is a complete different culture than the village. It takes poverty to a more extreme level. Dr. Jon went to see patients and some of us went to see the children. I ended up going into the room where Jon was “doctoring” and it was apparent he needed another set of hands. So, I became “nurse” Jean. It was quite a learning experience. I saw things I never, ever thought I would see. Dr. Jon taught me a lot! To have some of their health problems and such limited medical care…it breaks your heart. I was so anxious to see Abigail-a little girl from Senya who I met last year. I walked to her house and asked about her and she came running and knew who I was! It will cost $30 to pay for her schooling for another year! They don’t need a lot…the preacher was robbed last month and told me about it today. When you have nearly nothing and have that stolen…wow!

I walked out on the porch of the church in Senya to get something and a child started saying, “Tooty Ta.” I could not believe that they remembered me teaching that to them a year ago! So, of course we had to do it again right then and there. When a child remembers you teaching them a song on one visit a year ago, it is obvious they do not get much variety in their days!

Tomorrow is the last day of classes for the kids and teachers. I am not ready to tell them goodbye yet! We just got here! There is never enough time to give them all the time and attention they crave, (and I’m just talking about the teachers!) but we do the best we can with the time we have.

The group this year is so much fun. Our evening devo time when we share about our day is so special. It reminds us over and over what we have and what they don’t have. We have to keep asking why they seem to be the ones that are so happy.

I am so thankful for the ability to come over here. To all of you who helped me get things ready to leave, I am so grateful.

Thank you for sending a note, Glynn. Time for devo!

Love, Jean

3 comments:

Glynn R said...

Jean, again we pray for you daily. A question for you that is a bit of a puzzle. Popsicle, textured black surface all over or T.B.S. on sides with stainless steel front?

Christopher said...

Hope it's going great...sorry we're missing you in France!!! Just remember that Sunkist drinks expire soon...and taste awful! Speak soon!!
C & R

The Raglands said...

Hi Grandma! Love you!
Logan and Kayley