Friday, April 02, 2010

What a Way to Finish a Week

April 2, 2010

Eric and I just got in a little while ago.  Our group returned safely from El Mena and the Rain Forest. 

Again it was a great day with a lot of walking.  I really love the fast walks up to Fetteh and all the little kids hollering at me(like I don't know that I'm a whiteman) and waving. 

Lunch with the Gentry's, Brian and Isaac, one of the Village of Hope kids, was a nice way to end the week.  Our meeting with the local ministers this afternoon went well.  Thanks Daniel for the Bibles.  They each got a Serenipity Bible and I gave them several books a piece that I thought would be of value to them. There were 5 local preachers and two of their olders sons joined us for a late lunch down overlooking the ocean.  For once it was a place of beauty and tranquilty, and for a moment you could watch the palm trees and enjoy the breeze--even in this HEAT.  Never fear to get out of that place, it was me and black mama goat hoofing it back up to Fettah--which means sand and litter on a dirt road. 

After walking all that way for lunch and back halfway(after a cab ride to the VOH and back for our meeting)--Jackson, the preacher from Senya, came through once again with his motorcycle.  He is such a great guy with a big heart. Please pray for his ministry, especially all the work with the kids in Senya..  I had one kid on every finger as we came near the Senya church yesterday.  One of the children with a severe disibility, called out my name before I got in the door.  You can't imagine the conditions there.  It will just melt your heart. 

Thinking of melting, the fires were burning in the Fettah Village as the fish were smoking on the way back to the Fettah church.  I wasn't preaching but felt that I should be there.  Jackson dropped me off on his way back home and I'm glad I did go.  I was thrown for a loop after sitting down and seeing 27 kids just setting there--this is just the residual from last night.  Sooooo---- I ended up in the back with all the kids on 4 benches talking low and teaching them about "Daniel and the Scary Sleepover(Daniel 6)" --of course, I had an interpreter---a lady with her hair in big yellow curlers, she was so sweet.  The kids were phenomenal.  They love the animation that I put in the lesson and I had audience participation as well.    We also learned a new song in English that they didn't know--which took a while.  Later we performed " I've Got the Joy,Joy, Joy,Joy down in My Heart"--they really liked that sitting on a tac part. 

Following church we again sat on the square,  if you can call it a square--more like a dusty, turn-about with a stand and phone card hut.  One last Koca-Cola with Jerry (taxi driver and worship leader)before we left.  The dimly lit area does have a lot of amenities like chickens and goats and dogs laying around.  During my mid day journey on foot through there looking for Jerry, I was exposed to large dishpans, occupied with the cutest, little, shining, behinds that kept getting out of the pans to stand on a rock --only to run and get back in again and wave.    And this area too had a gentle breeze ---here it just moves the litter around exposing it for the sanitation crew(I mean Goats).

 Haven't seen a donkey this week nor do I recall seeing anyone trying to ride one into town this week, but I have seen some poor, and I do mean POOR, snotty nosed, shaggy sheep.  Can't help but think about the lamb that was being lead to the slaughter over 2000 years ago.  I can't say that I have seen one thing in reference to Easter here this week.  Wish I was there for Easter--although ---I've gotten my share of preaching and teaching this week.  May you all experience the power of the resurrection in your lives and in worship this Sunday.  May the Easter Bunny bless you with lots of eggs and chocolate.  I'm convinced that if he were to show up here, that he would be eaten right along side with the grasscutters.  Strange thing about Ghana, PETA doesn't seem to bother the folks around here much. 

It is time for me to retire to bed.  Everyone else had already crashed.  I send my love and prayers to you all.  See ya next week.  We leave here at 10 in the morning and we head out for Germany at 10 tomorrow night.  Should hit Knoxville late Sunday afternoon--the Lord willing.  I will take my regular Monday off and be back in the office on Tuesday if everthing goes ok.

Love,
Paul

No comments: