Thursday, April 01, 2010

From Jean and Dorian

March 31


Today was filled with lots of emotions. Laurie and I wore dresses that a teacher brought us as gifts. She was very pleased to see us in them. My missing CDs I have been needing so I could teach some new songs to the preschoolers showed up today. I went to the clinic to go through the trunks again. Julie assured me they couldn’t be in the trunks. Someone asked what I was looking for and pulled them out from a drawer in the desk. I was very pleased!!! Two CDs I bought and brought as gifts were still missing but at least some were found!

We gave out sunglasses to the children and they were so funny. Some put them on upside down and they looked so cute with those black little faces and those bright blue, green, yellow and purple sunglasses. And any time you try to take a picture, the teachers rush over to be sure they get in the picture. Then they all want to see it! Then they laugh and laugh at themselves! Then they run to pose again!

The teachers loved their canvas bags filled with goodies. They also loved getting sunglasses and would say, “Take my picture!” They mean it as a request, but it really comes out like an order!

After school, I visited with some of my new friends that live in the boarding house for girls. They are so much fun. I took all of them sunglasses and it was great watching them try on pair after pair and deciding which was just the right style. Then we took pictures and they posed “cool” and “funny” and whatever. It was lots of fun.

I went to several of the houses and took glasses for the house parents. I was offered a tour of the new Linery House and it was quite fun. I enjoyed going to each house and seeing each set of house parents. They were all so appreciative and yes, some wanted me to take their picture!

While I was outside visiting with several boys, an older boy came walking up. He asked if I knew his name. I did. It was Wisdom! I met him at least 4 years ago and have enjoyed getting to see him each year. He is now tall and in 8th grade and about to graduate. He will live in a boarding house next year to attend high school in Accra. I was so glad he came and found me!

Tomorrow, Laurie and I are going to Accra with Faustina to shop for school items. It should be quite fun! We are enjoying being here, we are enjoying being with each other, and sharing each evening. It has been a fabulous day of playing with kids from morning until evening!

Family, I love you!!!

Jean


================
The eye clinlc team worked very hard today.  None would give up until the last patient was seen.  David Gentry and Alex Parham have their own room getting chief complaints, visual acuities, near vision testing and dispensing of reading glasses and some eye drops.  Nine year old Will Gentry helps as well.  David is always inspires all of us to go the extra mile for every person by learning local greetings like “wo ho te sane”(how are you) and the appropriate responses.  He seems to never tire and only breaks for lunch because the rest of us neeed to eat and rest for a few minutes.  This is Alex’s second year in the eye clinic and he shows it with much professionalism and does not leave his post.  Pepsi is a jewel I trained how to check eye pressures set her up in her own room. She has taken full ownership of the job.  Kaleigh promised me if I gave her the glasses dispensing job she would work as long and hard as I did and she has not disappointed me.  She is very organized and never complains in the clinic.  Only later do I find out that she was not feeling well all day.

Dorian

No comments: