Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Monday, March 16, 2009

9:42 PM
I just got back from the computer lab. It doesn't have fast Internet, but at least it works. It was kinda frustrating because MY Internet wouldn't work, but MICHELLE'S Internet AND MR. EAST'S Internet worked PERFECTLY!! But I am okay.
okay...bye
Alex
=====================================================================
Monday, March 16, 2009
9:48 PM
We are getting ready to teach tomorrow afternoon ...a 3-hr in-service collaboration with the teachers here about the nebulous topic of "Language Arts"! Doesn't THAT sound exciting? I know you wish YOU could be here to learn about literary elements and short story instruction, but, hey, you'll just have to cool your jets until I get back.
Today made for soul-searching experiences. The first came at the rainforest (where I had to face my fear of heights on the suspension bridges and Pepsi had to conquer her fear of 6 ft. millipedes ...well... maybe I exaggerate...maybe it was only 3 ft. long!).
The second stop was far less light-hearted: the Slave Castle at Elmina. I am still reeling from the experience of actually standing in those holding cells. Hearing the horror stories was upsetting, but the visceral connection with the past comes from smelling the stench that permeated the floor and has remained in those rooms for hundreds of years. More disturbing than the smell, however, is the stark realization that the European "Christians" lived on the top two floors of the castle while, at any given time, 1000 African captives languished in a crowded hell on the bottom floor. The gravity of the colonists' indifference and cruelty sunk through to my soul, and I am overwhelmed that this monument, this symbol, still stands to educate us all about the depths of human depravity, and, conversely, the possibility of forgiveness and redemption. Praise God that He has been repeatedly willing to rescue mankind from the evil that, without Him, enslaves us all.

Tomorrow we begin our work. I will continue to look upon the joy and beauty of the people of Ghana who have suffered much and continue to radiate a degree of contentment that I cannot match. It is they who are ministering to me.

I miss you and love you all!
Dianna
_______________________________________________________________________

Hey Aunt Karen this is awesome. When we got here I thought it was a dream but fortunately its not. I really miss seeing your face every morning, This is so cool I didn't know Africa could be so intrusting It is so cool. I'm having so much fun I've met some friends Sarah,Judeth, and Andrew and lots others we went on a tour today and went to the Slave castle and the Rainforest it was so scary crossing that tiny bridge while I was walking in the middle of the bridge I got stung bye a bee it hurt really bad. Well its been a long day so I love you , Cameron

=====================================================================

Monday Night 11:57 P.M.

It as quiet as can be here, everyone is in bed and we anticipate a great day at the Clinic in the morning. I just went out to speak with one of our brother who is watching over us here in our houses but he was asleep under a big tree. Everyone is so kind and appreciative for us being here and what we are doing.

I have made two, morning trips to the wells now. It is such a refreshing time to be out with the kids and get to meet them and some of the village people coming to the wells. David Gentry and I spent some time with kids who were cooking this morning out behind their house in little concrete stall. Everyone is making a lot of friends. Yesterday after church was a great time to spend watching all the happenings with the kids and playing with them. They truly are amazing in their spirits, their smiles are contagious, and their love is always evident to us.
Praise the Lord, 3 out of the 4 suitcases just arrived since I started typing. Looks like Melynne is still missing her suitcase, but she isn't the only one, we now have someone's suitcase by the name of "Cole". Looks like he is dressing for some colder climate--he should be loving Melynne's T-shirts and skirts.

Yesterday was great day at the Fettah church as well. Fettah is just a little down the road, a 15-30 minute walk depending on how tired you are. The spirit of the church was great, the singing is inspiring(really it is beyond word) their ministry on Sundays seems strong by all indication. I went back to the Fettah church of Christ last night by myself. One of the young men on Sunday morning graciously offered to walk me back any night that I was there. I was blessed to literally catch a ride on a bus--OK I hitch-hiked a ride and wasn't sure if they would drop me off where I knew how to find the church. Now, before you gasp---the bus was a VOH bus and they could speak English which still doesn't mean that I know what they saying. They passed the church up, made a turn and let me out onto what was a dry, dusty, sandy soccer field---I figured it out about the time I was in the middle of it. There were people of all ages standing everywhere and I still could not see the church and I could not understand anything they were saying. Well, that was until a little boy waving his hand, hollered "HEY WHITE MAN"--to which I just waved at him and watch him grin and I kept trying to see the church house nestled up the dirt--trash laden hill side. After a little bit more walking I noticed I was being followed by a little boy with his shirt up over his ears. He wouldn't speak to me, as I ask him questions but as neared the church --he hollered "HEY WHITE MAN, WHERE IS YOUR CAR". To say the least he was disappointed when I told him that I didn't have one, so he left me. I had a great visit worshipping with the Fettah church. I got to spend some time with the preacher and another brother before the service and by the time the service started I was preaching. That was a new experience preaching with a translator. Their P.M. attendance is like many in the states--sparing. There were 19 present --one visitor--which wasn't me (I'm a member) and 2 responses. Leaving there at night was trying since I couldn't see even how to get out of the church because their are no lights outside the building. Watch out for the rock and small tree stumps that you can't see and all the trash that the goats were eating that morning off the heap. I was shown great hospitality by one of the members, who walked me to his road side stand(chop house) for a slice of fried yam and a bottled coke. He then drove me in his taxi back to the Village of Hope. As we got in the car you could see in the headlight 3 or 4 kids bathing "Buck naked" from a bucket and just a shining in the light and being kids. A lot of first---Hitch-hiking in a foreign country, preaching with a translator and eating out of a chop house, come to think of it I cant remember a Taxi---maybe once in my lifetime.

I'm teach there again Wednesday night for an hour at least that's what he said--please be praying.

We got our schedules today and I see we are down for a 6 hour seminar on Thursday with the local preachers. Blake Moore is here with us from Knoxville and will no doubt be helping, and Lord-willing Eric may be here as well. I'm prepared to do a course on discovering spiritual maturity. We will see how it goes it may all change by Thursday.

Well I need to sign off--its 1 a.m. now--Tuesday. Today was amazing but it is overwhelming even too type about. I have to hold back tears as I type. The slave castle was just too much. God forgive the evil that is within man's heart and all the hatred that is done under the guise of religious righteousness. I truly hope that our old selves have been crucified with Jesus so that the body of sin might be done away with---and if we have truly died to sin then Jesus has freed us from sin. May we never let sin reign like this again and may we always offer our bodies as instruments of righteousness letting others know of Jesus' "freeing love".

Hey Anna, Cathy, and Jason just thinking about you.

Please let ABC and D know that I am doing great and that I am missing them.

Look forward to seeing you all soon.

Love,
Paul
====================================================================

Every one is anxious to hear more from back home. When I come back from the computer center the main question is "Are there any comments?"

Things are kicking off this morning. The teachers are at the school meeting teachers and observing classrooms they will conduct their first teaching seminar this afternoon. Every one is on task. It is a beautiful thing to witness.

The crowd outside the clinic at 6:30 this AM numbered about 50. Note it was scheduled to open at 8:30. The staff is busy getting organized and ready for the day that will likely involve 300+ patients. Today begins what we came here to do.

Last night during our group devo, we asked each of the "first-timers" to share their observations and impressions. To me, this is one of the more powerful and meaningful gatherings. There was a key point that was started by Austin, age 14, who observed that everyone was happy and they didn't have much. This was repeated by others.

Why do we include young people on these trips? One reason is they see as they are. When we finished, there were no dry eyes in the room.

As we hear them sing here: "My God is good."

James
==================================================

4 comments:

Farragut Church said...

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the great blogs coming each day. James, i am glad to know that everyone is anxious to here comments from home. When you guys post a blog you need to mark it to allow comments at the bottom of the page. I have been trying to edit the entries as you post them so that people can comment, but wasn't sure if you all knew to do that when you post the blog.

It is 9:30 here at the church and very quiet. No one is packing trunks with pills for Ghana. No staff meeting,(Paul we miss you). Jason is with the teens in Kentucky.

Ghana seems to be front and foremost on everyone's mind as we read about your daily adventures and the ways God is working in your lives. We will continue to pray each day and laugh and cry in wonder as we read your blogs. God bless you. Drink your water!!!

Lots of Love,

Anna

Windows Wide Open said...

Hey Paul & Everyone else,

Just wanted to send you a note to let you know that we are missing you. Bailey keeps asking when is daddy come to Bowling Green. Abbie & Colby are having lots of fun playing outside and seeing their cousins.

I am sitting here at Mike Tanaro's house visting with Mike, Dana, Julie, Trent, Jerry & their kids. Everyone sends their love and says to tell you hello. Wish you were here to see them.

Looking forward to hugging & seeing you on Sunday night. Stay safe and we will talk to you soon.

Love,
Dana,& ABC

ellenkaye said...

To each of you in Ghana, I have unsuccessfully sent multiple blogs your way. In the years past, I have not experienced this hitch - whatever the problem. I will give this one last attempt for today as you are beginning your day on Wednesday. . . around 5:30 a.m. in Ghana. Of course, I ALWAYS hope for good, restful sleep for each of you and a full day ahead for works of the heart for as many people there as possible. I do hope the clinic operates smoothly and that it gives the doctors, nurses, and 'assistant' doctors an experience to treasure in their loving, giving, helping...without all the paperwork! Just BE in the moment every minute you have in Ghana. If working nearer the equator would give you more of a feeling of just being bathed in sunlight, I would be a happy camper there to experience the week with you. . . if I could choose. Sending love to Sheena, Shawn, and David. You are so missed, but your ability to share in this experience together at this memorable time in our lives - is golden. Have another wonderful day. Until Sunday evening........

ellenkaye said...

East TN was beautiful for a change in pace. Wednesday promises to be even a bit warmer. More locally, Campbell Sta Rd remains characteristically the same. At least a 3-4 alarm run of fire trucks, ambulances, police cruisers, sirens, for over an hour with dogs barking and moaning with the pain..........so where were all the ER people when this happened? Maybe that is one great reason Dr. Mike is in town and not in Ghana this time around. Sending love. I will keep holding down the fort here and will reassign yard boy duties after your return. Gotta keep up with the Duggers!