Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Daniel's Africa Blog

Wednesday, March 21, 2007Dear Church,It is hard to describe what it is like to be awakened to the sounds of children singing about Jesus and heaven. In Ghana, that is my 5:30 am wake-up call and it is a wonderful way to start a day. There are three certainties about every day in Ghana: it will be hot, a football (mango) will be kicked, and an irresistible smile will engage your heart to let you know that God is real.About our team, the attitude and willingness to serve is off the charts. God is at work through them and it is an amazing thing to watch. I have enjoyed preaching and teaching children and adults, the highlight being the opportunity to preach in the village of Fetteh last evening. I begged them to stay and sing one more song as they were leaving their place of worship. What sounded normal to them, was one of the most extraordinary worship sounds my ears have ever heard. Having said all of that, I must admit, that I miss the sounds and smells of home. Three Krystals, an order of chili cheese fries and a 32 ounce diet coke with lots of ice would be good right now. What would be even better would be a hug from Melanie, Morgan, Seth, Jamie, Ulanna and Aaron. Since I can’t be there to hug them, I ask you to do it for me. I love you!Your Preacher,Daniel

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Dearest Daniel,
I miss you! I wish I was there. I am praising God right now for the ability to communicate with you across His vast world. Just as you miss the smells and taste of home - I can close my eyes and remember the taste and smells of Africa. How many Fanta's have you had? The most amazing thing is I can hear the beautiful voices as they sing "Minya Minyea" (I am positive that I have misspelled this-but you know exactly what I mean).
I don't think that Krystals and chili cheese fries will be the thing to eat as soon as you get off the airplane, but as soon as your stomach has adjusted, you have a date.

My God is Good
All my love,
Melanie

Anonymous said...

Shawn, Please keep the messages coming as you can. The kids and I check this message board from the time we get up until we go to bed. We are hungry for all of the amazing tales that you will have for us when you return. We were outside in the beautiful spring weather planning a tire swing when you called yesterday. We hope you'll try us again...we were so glad to hear your voice. Every morning when I get up I am so grateful for God's strength to help me through the day without you here. You are greatly missed! XXXOOO Amy