Wednesday, March 21, 2007

3rd Africa Blog

March 20, 2007 Blake ChasteenAfrica. Today was an unbelievable day... Just like every other day since we have arrived. When I say unbelievable, I mean it in the truest sense of th word. Not just amazing or mind-blowing, but honestly, it was unbelievable.Not everyone understands my story. I was not coming on this trip. 100%. My passport had not come in time, and despite every attempt and effort I had made, I would not be attending a trip I had once been so excited about. A phone call on the day of departure was the determining factor and all of the sudden Africa became a serious possibility.When God so clearly and directly intervenes in your life, you begin to ask why. To me, that question was answered before we even left. As I quickly told my story to my friends and relatives, they all said the same thing back. "There is a reason you're going Blake. Be prepared because God is going to use you."Now while you're frantically throwing stuff into a backpack, this doesn't hold a lot of meaning. However, halfway into the flight to London, I began thinking. (right about when I finally started breathing again...)...Wow, I'm going to Africa...Right now! This is so UNBELIEVABLE... What does God want me to do? Everyone keeps saying it, but am I really ready?...Since arriving in Africa, nevertheless, I thought I must be mistaken. The first day I got to know the location, and the second two days I was trapped in the pharmacy. Halfway through the second day of handing out medicine, I wondered if this was really some great, amazing work, kinda disappointed. I began to see my week melting away in the African sun -- unfruitful and not amazing.That night the ice cream arrived for the children. They began to chow down and yet again, I was unattached to any of them because of my days spent in the pharmacy. Suddenly, through the smiles of those little orphans, I realized something different.God wanted me here for a reason. He wants us all here for a reason. But in my case, God did not have me here to solve Ghana's economic woes. Most of all, God wants me here to become set on fire for him. Rededicated. Re alive. While I know I am doing work for him. God knew exactly what I needed in my walk with him. Africa.So next time you pray or any of us pray, remember.God always has a reason...But sometimes it is more importantfor the giver to give, thanfor the gift to be received.Be faithful and pray for us to be blessed through this.in His service.Blake (and the team)PS Blake is Freshmen at Maryville College ~ I have so enjoyed getting to know him this trip! - Katie Smoak

No comments: